So far in our product reviews we’ve focused on software that’s great for owners who own just a small handful of properties. Their needs are quite a bit different from larger property management companies who own or manage many, many units and the software features and pricing usually reflect those differences.
But I’ve had readers and property managers ask about reviewing and doing a comparison of the more comprehensive property management software so we’re taking on a full series of both web based property management software and computer based software for property managers and larger rental property owners… and Appfolio was one of the most requested reviews… so here we go!
Here’s the structure of the AppFolio review:
- Quick look at the software
- Video review
- The pros and cons of AppFolio
- My overall impression of the software
- My grade
That’s about it… check out the video below of my AppFolio review below and see if it’s the right property management software for you! By the way, I think this is best for property managers with 200+ units … if you have less than 200 units you might want to look at our reviews for LandlordMax or Tenant File 6.0.
Quick Look At AppFolio Property Management System
My overall impression is that the software is a good solid software, has a great user interface, has an awesome “dashboard”, looks great, has a ton of time saving features, and does what it’s supposed to do.
Here’s a quick look:
- Web based property management software
- Monthly subscription, minimum price $200 ($1 per unit w/ a $200/mo minimum)
- Financial records are tied to software; no need for QuickBooks
- Craigslist automatic posting integration
- Transfer funds between properties/accounts
- Automate recurring, paperless workorders
- Email or print owner statements in bulk
- Online payments to owners/staff
- Universal search feature
- Extensive accounting features
- New features updated monthly
- Store unlimited number of files or photos
- Very slick and attractive user interface
- Here’s their website for a free 30-minute live demo <<
Alrighty…ready for some more details? Let’s dive right in…
(click the video below to start ‘er up. It ran a little longer than I expected but this way you’ll get a full look inside the program so you can see if it’s right for you or not).
AppFolio Property Management Software Video Review
Running Time: about 32 minutes
**If you’re having trouble viewing the video above, follow the link below to watch it directly at the video hosting site:
Here’s the link to Get a 30-minute Live Demo of AppFolio Property Management Software Free of Charge. <<
“Cliff Notes” Version of My AppFolio Property Management Software Review
Here it is… overall I really, really liked AppFolio. This is one of the strongest programs to date of property management software programs I’ve reviewed… and with their development team producing monthly updates and new features, it will be hard to beat.
The Pros: (what I like a lot!)
- Web-based program which means no software to download to your computer… and you can login from any computer, even while on vacation.
- Great clean dashboard graphics make it easy to read and analyze your business.
- Automate work orders and emails to tenants and owners (really cool feature you’ll have to check out their full demo to see in all it’s glory)
- Post online advertisements to Craigslist and other outlets just by logging in and clicking a few links.
- Reconcile bank accounts or add late fees very easily; no need for other financial software.
- Cool map feature shows you where your properties are located and if any units are available for rent.
- Great graphics throughout showing if properties have leases expiring, are vacant, or are filled.
- Can add properties and new tenant names easily.
- Upload loads of files, including multiple photos for each unit.
- Color code and sort your properties by vacancies, occupied, or moving out.
- Can add late fees and mortgage payments so the software can track your loan value.
- Dozens of preloaded financial and accounting reports that can be customized (all of them can be customized to fit your needs)
- REALLY easy to find stuff in here w/ the Universal Search feature (will cut your time in 1/2 on searching for the records you need)
- Can send… with 2 clicks of a mouse… customized owner reports in bulk via email or print w/ the exact info each individual owner wants to see every month (one of the best features in the software)
- Every new client they give a personal walkthrough of the software to answer all of your questions… really good customer service touch.
- Can quickly and easily migrate your current data to Appfolio… way better than w/ Yardi
- Free support and you get an unlimited number of users to the software (aka, you don’t have to buy separate licenses for each user)
The Cons: (what AppFolio can improve)
- This is ticky tacky… but I like to have a big ol’ fat “Enter Rent” or “Enter Expenses” button on my dashboard to quickly enter these. To enter rents is easy… but not 100% conspicuous and intuitive the first time you use the software.
- Some parts of the software aren’t 100% as intuitive as some other software I’ve seen. But, overall… you can jump in and use the software the same day… especially after you get the walkthrough from the Appfolio rep.
- There is a one-time setup fee to get your account going… it’s less than some others… but is an expense you’ll have to figure into your investment in the software.
Really… that’s about all that I could personally tell from working in the software for a few hours on the big drawbacks for me.
But, as you know… software is as individual as jeans… what I like you may not… what you like… I may not. So, we always suggest that you narrow your property management software search down to 2-3 software programs… then get the free trial or demos of them and try them all to see which one you like the best.
My Overall Impression Of AppFolio Property Management Software
My overall impression of AppFolio is that it is a good solid web based property management software that at the moment is the best I’ve seen. There is an amazing number of features that far surpass other software on the market and will make larger property management companies jobs much easier with the ease of automating so many features.
So, I would 100% suggest you check out their live demo . If you have less than 200 units check out our reviews on LandlordMax and Tenant File softare… or even our review on Quicken Rental Manager 2009. Over the next couple months we’ll be reviewing other larger software like Yardi and others… so be sure to join our newsletter so you’ll get updates on our new reviews as they come out.
How Do I Grade It?? (out of 5)
Affordability : and 1/2 (4.5/5)
Features: and 3/4 (4.75/5)
Ease of Use : (5/5)
Overall (200+ Units): .81 (4.81/5)
Is This Property Management Software Program Right For You?
My purpose in posting these product reviews is to give you an objective look at the program… tell you the pros and cons… and let you make the decision for yourself. For full disclosure… our company does make a small commission if you buy any program from our website; however, we keep it unbiased because we try to do comprehensive and honest reviews of all of the products in each category so you have a full look at your options. And, if we have helped you in your search for property management software at all… we’d appreciate if you do feel we’ve given you value to purchase the software through the links on our website so we can continue to provide great free resources to real estate investors around the U.S.
$67 Bonus Package with Purchase of AppFolio Property Management Software
So, here’s the deal on how you can get a your bonus package worth $67.
- If the program is right for you, and you purchase the program using the links on our website… you qualify
- After you buy, email your receipt to ” admin [at] thereibrain [dot] com ” and say “Here’s my receipt for the AppFolio Bonus Package“
- We’ll immediatley email you our full package of property management forms that we use in our own business that are valued at $67 as our bonus and thank you for being a valued REIbrain subscriber and member.
- Win Win.
>> Here’s the link to grab your free trial of AppFolio Property
Management Software Program and Get $67 Bonus <<
Enjoy your week
Note: Here at The REI Brain dot com we are dedicated to providing you with great free content, resources, training, and product reviews. All of this is not cheap for us to do and we’ve got to pay the bills… so, if you find a product or recommendation or review of a product on our website or in our emails we likely do earn a revenue when our visitors purchase the product/service/program through the links on our website. That is a great way that we’ve found to help pay for our expenses and to continue providing you with great content for free. However, with that said… we are *never* going to sell out to make a quick buck and feel very strongly that every product we introduce you to or that we recommend in a review is truly a great product, at a great value, that we have personally reviewed prior to any recommendation or review. Out of every product we do recommend, there are over 20 that we look at that we feel are not worthy of our recommendation to our valued readers.